Near is looking for a Senior Director of Engineering to lead and scale our lean engineering organization. This role provides an opportunity to work closely with the Executive Team at one of the fastest-growing Enterprise SaaS companies. The role is great for people who can work independently and are self-driven.
This is a rare opportunity to build and lead a team that is creating a global data platform harnessing signals from over a billion MAUs and used by partners across the United States, Europe, Japan and Asia Pacific. We are looking for a driven and ambitious leader who can play a pivotal role in the next phase of our journey.
You will be part of one of the fastest-growing Enterprise SaaS companies – a great opportunity for people who can work independently and are self-driven.
- In collaboration with the engineering leads, set and articulate the technical vision and direction for multiple agile teams working to deliver the next generation platform.
- Work closely with Product and Data Science counterparts to review and evolve the engineering teams’ KPIs that focus the teams on building a great product that address productivity, efficiency, satisfaction and competitive differentiation.
- Use communication and collaboration tools to provide a high level of visibility and transparency around KPIs, design, backlog and results to Executive and other teams.
- Manage resources across multiple agile teams, ensuring that each team is strategically aligned and fully owns their area of responsibility.
- Embrace and evangelize the Lean Startup principles of KPI-driven development.
- Execute the ‘build-measure-learn’ cycle to turn ideas into MVPs, measure the effect on KPIs, and pivot or persevere based on results.
- Work to constantly challenge and improve existing infrastructure and processes to accelerate the feedback loop.
- Provide line management for all direct reports, complete annual reviews and conduct performance management for the engineering team.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor and lead a high-caliber team on an ongoing basis.
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the Product and Business teams and take actions to mitigate the risks and plan for the future.
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of market and technology changes and potential effects on engineering.
- Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimizing cost.
Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in engineering from a reputed institute.
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, with at least 3 years in an engineering management role.
- Experience with highly scalable systems and hands-on experience in big data technologies.
- Experience in a fast-moving, growth-minded startup, and comfort with needing to be flexible and adaptable as requirements change.
- Strong leadership skills including vision-setting, goal setting, coaching, team building, empowerment, and cross-functional communication.
- Thorough and current understanding of technologies and frameworks, especially in Java.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage all aspects of the software development lifecycle in an Agile environment.
- Good experience on cloud infrastructure - AWS preferably.